Sunday, September 1, 2013

Draper police officer killed, two others injured in Sunday morning shooting | Deseret News

UPDATE: 6:30pm 9/1/13, The shooting that killed a Draper police officer early Sunday was caused by one or both of the civilians who are hospitalized with critical injuries, police said.

Sgt. Derek Johnson  EOW 9/1/2013
Investigators do not believe any additional suspects were involved in the gunfire that killed Sgt. Derek Johnson, Draper City Police Chief Bryan Roberts said at a news conference Sunday afternoon.

DRAPER — A Draper police officer was shot and killed Sunday morning and two others injured in a shooting that remained under investigation.

Sgt. Derek Johnson of the Draper Police Department responded to a call about 6 a.m. and was shot during an encounter. He was transported to a local hospital where he died from his injuries, the Draper Police Department confirmed Sunday morning.

A man and woman were also injured in the encounter, but few details about what occurred in Draper were released.

Police said there are no suspects at large; there is no manhunt underway as a part of the investigation.
Kris Szelag, who lives on South Fort Street said she was awakened around 5:30 a.m. by a gunshot. A registered nurse, Szelag rushed outside to see if she could help. She saw an officer being pulled out of his car and emergency personnel begin CPR. One of her neighbors told her that he awoke to a SWAT team surrounding his barn.

"Adrenaline was pretty high," she said.

Medical personnel continued CPR for at least a half hour, she said, until a medical helicopter transported the officer to a hospital.

During the hunt officers carried assault weapons through the streets, she said.

Draper City Council member William Rappleye, who lives on Willow Springs Lane, said he was on the outer rim of a perimeter that police has set up. According to what he saw throughout the morning, police set up an inner perimeter as well, where they conducted a more active search.

"I'm really sad. Our police officers are some great people," Rappleye said.

Police established a police perimeter running from 300 East to 1300 East and Pioneer Street (12400 South) to 13800 South, blocking traffic and entry into the area. The outer barricade was lifted about 10:30 a.m., allowing some traffic to resume.

Police began searching the area with a canine team from Orem and a Department of Public Safety helicopter. Units from Utah Highway Patrol, South Jordan, Sandy, Midvale and the Orem team were assisting in the search.

A Department of Public Safety helicopter was circling the area assisting in the search.

Twitter: whitevs7


  1. I live in the neighborhood where this happened. We're all devastated. We love our Draper police and so sorry for this tragedy. Love and prayers to the Johnson family.

  2. My prayers go out to the Sgt. Johnson family. This is heartbreaking.